What better at this time of year, than a comforting bowl of gnocchi with some seasonal veggies? We love autumn, and this dish is one of our favourites to make use of comforting squash, wilted wakame, wild mushrooms and cheese?
It's really quick and comforting meal, but can also make an elegant starter if you're feeling a bit more bougie. You can use a single variety of wild mushrooms or a mixture and it's great to use up any odds and ends from the fridge if so needed, such as green veggies or cheese.
Serves 2 for main, 4 for starter.
- 1/2 bag (25g) Organic Wakame Seaweed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 butternut squash, chopped into 1 cm chunks
- 150g mixed wild mushrooms, or chestnut mushrooms if you can’t get hold of wild
- Handful of greens (spinach, tender stem broccoli work well)
- 50g salted butter
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 500g fresh gnocchi
- Walnuts to garnish (optional)
- Grated cheese (optional, a creamy sharp cheddar works well)
- Boil the kettle and pour the water over the wakame in a bowl and leave for 8 minutes until tender.
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan, once the oil is hot, add the butter and brown it lightly, add the squash and season with salt and pepper, it should take about 10 minutes to cook. Make sure you're turning the squash so it browns on all sides. In the last 2 minutes add the mushrooms and any greens, then remove these from the pan and set aside.
- Add a bit more butter to the pan and wait until it’s foaming before adding the sage to crisp up, the butter will develop small brown flecks in it and smell biscuity. Remove the sage leaves so they don’t burn.
- While that’s happening, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the gnocchi, it will only take 2 minutes to cook. You will know when it’s ready because they will float to the surface.
- Once you’ve drained the gnocchi, add them to the pan you used for the sage and toss in the butter to brown. Combine with the mushrooms, wakame, squash and sprinkle the sage leaves on top. Garnish with walnuts and grated cheese, if using. Serve straight away and enjoy!