Brown butter gnocchi with Wakame, squash and wild mushrooms
- This is a really quick and comforting meal, but can also make an elegant starter for a dinner party, you can use a single variety of wild mushrooms for this recipe, or a mixture.
- Serves 2 for main, 4 for starter.
- 500g fresh gnocchi
- 150g mixed wild mushrooms, or chestnut mushrooms if you can’t get hold of wild
- 1/2 butternut squash chopped into bitesize chunks
- 1/2 bag / 25g Atlantic Kitchen Wakame seaweed
- 50g salted butter
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 8 fresh sage leaves
Boil your kettle and pour the water over your Wakame in a bowl and leave for 8 minutes until tender.
Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan, once the oil is hot add the butter and brown it lightly, add the squash and season with salt and pepper, it should take about 6 minutes to cook, and make sure you are turning the squash so it browns on all sides. In the last 2 minutes add the mushrooms then remove these from the pan and set aside.
Add a bit more butter to the pan and wait until it’s foaming before adding the sage to crisp up, the butter will develop small brown flecks in it and smell biscuity. Remove the sage leaves so they don’t burn.
While that’s happening bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the gnocchi, it will only take 2 minutes to cook, you will know when it’s ready because they will float to the surface.
Once you’ve drained the gnocchi add them to the pan you used for the sage and toss in the butter to brown. Combine with the mushrooms, Wakame, squash and sprinkle the sage leaves on top. Serve straight away.